AIP Nomato Sauce
- 300 g butternut squash
- 4 medium beetroot (320g)
- 2 large carrots
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 celery sticks
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1.5 cups vegetable stock
- 3 pitted black olives or 1 heaped tsp black olive tapenade
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, or to taste (leave out for strict AIP)
- Peel the squash, beetroot, carrots and onion and chop into small chunks.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan. Add the squash, beetroot, carrots, onion and celery. Sauté on a medium heat for about 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic, oregano, basil and salt and fry for 1 more minute. Add the stock and simmer for 15 minutes on a medium/ low heat. Allow to cool.
- Add the olives/ tapenade, coconut aminos and lemon juice. Transfer to a food blender like a Vitamix and blitz until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning to taste. If you need more liquid add a little more stock until a tomato sauce consistency.
- Store in a Tupperware in the fridge for 3 - 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month.