I’ve made a lot of hummus over the years and tried all the different methods when it comes to perfecting the ultimate hummus. But today’s recipe for my Super Smooth Hummus is bar far the best i’ve made that it deserved a spot here on the blog so you can make too.
What are all the different ways to make super creamy hummus and what really makes a difference?
Pressure cooking, soaking the chickpeas, pre-boiling, removing the skins, experimenting with different blending times, tahini to olive oil ration – these are all different ways which can affect the final result of how creamy your hummus is. But which really make a difference given the effort some of them take, when lets face it guys, time is precious?
Well in my testing, it’s a combination of pre-boiling (but we’re talking 8 – 10 minutes here not hours), removing the skins, but fear not I have a quick and easy method that won’t leave you meditating for 2 hours and losing the will to live) and blending for 10 minutes. This combination will give you the creamiest, silky smooth hummus, in all of 20 minutes flat!
How to remove chickpea skins with ease?
Rinse the cooked chickpeas in cold water. Place in a pan of hot water, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 – 10 minutes. This will help with the creaminess and removal of the skins.
Drain then place back in the pan with more cold water. Rub the chickpeas a good few times between your hands to remove as many skins as possible. Stir and skim using a slotted spoon any shells. Drain and pick out any remaining shells. You don’t need to be overly picky here and get every one. Just the bulk, as the blending will get rid of the rest, but the more the better.
Place in the blender and follow the method in the recipe for Super Smooth Hummus!
Healthy Super Smooth Hummus
- 1.5 cans cooked chickpeas
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 2 - 3 tbsp cold water
- 1/2 can cooked chickpeas
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of flaked sea salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika (optional)
- 1 - 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / 180 fan.
- Place 1/2 tin chickpeas on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and toss with salt and optional paprika. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes until crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
SUPER SMOOTH HUMMUS
- Drain the chickpeas into a sieve and rinse with cold water. Place in a pan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold water. Place back in the pan with cold water and keep rubbing the chickpeas between your hands to remove the skins. Skim using a slotted spoon and pick out as many skins as possible. This will make the hummus super smooth. Drain and remove any more skins. You don't have to be overly picky here and get everyone just remove the excess.
- Place the chickpeas along with all the other hummus ingredients (except the water) in a food processor with an S blade and blitz for 7 minutes until super smooth. Add 2 tbsp of water and blitz again for one more minute. Transfer to a bowl and chill in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Once chilled, place back in the blender with one more tbsp of water and blitz again for 30 seconds - 1 minute to combine. This will make it super creamy again after chilling.
- Serve with crispy chickpeas, 1 - 2 tbsp of olive oil and cracked black pepper.