Crispy… OMG, yes you heard me right… Crispy Baked Cauliflower Schnitzels with Celeriac and Fennel Slaw! I literally made this healthy, vegan, keto dinner recipe 30 minutes ago and had to post the recipe for you straight away. I think it’s literally my favourite recipe on the blog EVER!
How to make the crispiest grain free crumb
If you love cauliflower steaks, you’ll adore this quick and easy vegan, keto recipe. The crispy crumb is made from a mix of flax meal, (I used sprouted flax meal but you can use regular if you prefer. I just find sprouted easier to digest) oregano, thyme, chilli flakes, paprika, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast. It’s cheesy, with a little kick, but not blow your pants off hot. It’s perfectly balanced and the best crumb for these vegan cauliflower steaks. I think this crumb would be great on zucchini fries too (recipe idea alert) or even pumpkin or sweet potato wedges.
Once drizzled in olive oil and baked, these cauliflower schnitzels go super crispy and delicious.
My Favourite Summer Slaw
This fennel and celeriac slaw is fast becoming my go to slaw. Not only is it low-carb and super healthy, the dressing is incredibly tasty. The two mustards with the red wine vinegar give it a nice tang and the coconut aminos sweetens naturally without the need for sugar or a sweetener.
I hope you enjoy this healthy recipe guys.
Crispy Baked Cauliflower Schnitzels with Celeriac and Fennel Slaw
- 3 baby cauliflowers (430g) or you can use large and cut smaller
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 4 tbsp flax meal (I like Linwoods Sprouted Flax)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/3 - 1/2 tsp Flaked sea salt or Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Fennel and Celeriac Slaw
- 1 medium courgette (135g)
- 1/2 small fennel, thinly sliced (70g)
- 1/4 small celeriac, peeled and finely sliced (80g)
- (Optional 1 1 small spring onion, finely shredded
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp red wine or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / 180 fan and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Slice the cauliflowers, starting in the middle, into 1cm thick steaks. Option to a larger cauliflower if you prefer (cooking times may take a little longer though.) Spread evenly on the prepared baking tray.
- Mix all the seasoning ingredients together in a bowl .(Nutritional yeast, flax meal, thyme, oregano, paprika, chilli, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the coating over the cauliflower schnitzels and drizzle with 4 tbsp of olive oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 30 minutes until the coating is crisp and golden and the cauliflower schnitzels are tender.
Fennel and Celeriac Slaw
- Meanwhile, prepare the slaw. Using a julienne peeler or spiralizer make thin courgette noodles. Option to use a sharp knife and cut super fine if you don't have either of these. Slice the fennel fine (I used a mandoline) and the celeriac into fine batons.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss the dressing through the slaw.
- Serve the Cauliflower Schnitzels with the fennel and celeriac slaw and top with chopped fresh parsley.