Inspired by the classic Friday night Chinese take-out, this healthy Sticky Orange Tofu recipe has everything you could want. Crispy baked tofu, a sweet sticky sauce, and perfectly steamed rice… but with a healthy twist! This dish might feel naughty, but it’s actually super good for you; no sugars or sweeteners, gluten free, and totally plant based!
I love creating nourishing, healthy recipes that break the mould of what ‘healthy’ food looks like. I want to show people that great tasting food doesn’t need all those sugars, syrups, gums and starches that so commonly crop up in recipes. All you need is simple, good quality ingredients, and a little bit of creativity.
This sticky orange tofu uses the power of plants, and plants only. Nothing but feel good ingredients and whole foods – and absolutely no ingredients you can’t pronounce.
If you’ve ever followed a recipe of mine before that involves tofu, you’ll know I like to do things a little differently. Don’t get me wrong, I ADORE crispy tofu – I literally won’t eat anything unless it’s been crisped up in the oven within an inch of its life. But I don’t think you need to add anything to get that extra crispy coating. No flours or starches on my watch. Just a super tasty tofu (my favourites are Taifun and Tofoo) well pressed, and baked in a hot oven. It might take a little longer to crisp up than methods that involve flour coatings and pan frying, but it’s so much healthier and just as good.
An orange sauce without sugar or sweeteners
Now the real USP of this recipe is that sticky orange sauce. Its jammy, glossy, and contains absolutely no added sweeteners or sugars. Just the power of orange juice, balsamic, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil and ACV. Just like with the tofu, there’s absolutely no need for any additives. To make this sauce thick and jammy, all you need to do is heat it gently in the pan for a few minutes. Be patient and keep stirring it every now and then, and it will eventually thicken up, leaving you with a deliciously aromatic and zesty sticky sauce.
This healthy sticky orange tofu feels so indulgent; it’s the perfect ‘fake-away’ meal.
Healthy Sticky Orange Tofu
- 2 packets Tofu
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1.5 tbsp Ginger grated
- 1 cup Fresh orange juice
- 0.5 tsp Orange zest
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce sub for coconut aminos for soy free
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 0.5 tbsp Apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup Brown rice
- 2 cups Water
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180 fan.
- Add tofu to a greaseproof lined baking tray and bake for 30-45 minutes, turning once until to your liking. Cooking times may vary depending on the brand used. Fermented tofu takes less time, about 25 minutes.
How to cook perfect brown rice
- Add 1 cup of well rinsed + drained brown rice to a pan with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil then cook for 30 - 35 mins on a med heat uncovered until all the water has absorbed. Turn off heat and cover rice with a lid. Leave to stand for 10 mins then fluff with a fork.
- Add all the ingredients for the sauce to a non-stick pan and cook on a medium heat until the sauce thickens and goes jammy.
- Serve tofu over brown rice and drizzle with sauce, olive oil or toasted sesame oil and fresh coriander.