One of the reasons that this salad recipe is so fresh and exciting is the base ingredients. Don’t get me wrong, I love a kale or lettuce salad too, in fact i’m a lover of all salads, but sometimes it’s way more fun to scrap the notion that salads have to be green. Why not have a bright, fiery salad with bursts of red and orange?
Roasted butternut squash is a fantastic salad ingredient, as its nutty, sweet flavour and soft texture mingles so well with the other ingredients. Avocado chunks provide the perfect balance of healthy fats against veggie based carbs and brings a smooth, mellow freshness.
The Romano red peppers are possibly my favourite part of this recipe. They are sweet, summery and juicy – you can sub with bell peppers if you can’t find them but if you can, try and get the Romano as they are sweeter and just tastier in my opinion.
Now for the magic ingredients; roasted chickpeas and almonds. These are really the stars of the show; providing a crunchy texture and a delicious roasted spiced flavour. Plus, you’re getting all that plant powered goodness in with a big boost of natural protein. Feel free to sub the almonds with cashews or walnuts if you prefer.
Roasted Chickpea Salad
- 2 large sweet romano red peppers, seeds removed + chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed + cut in 1 inch cubes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 2 tins chickpeas, drained + rinsed
- 1/3 cup almonds
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 15 g fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 fan.
- Place the butternut squash to a greaseproof lined baking tray. Toss with 1 tbsp of oil and salt. Roast for 10 minutes.
- Add the peppers to the butternut and toss to combine. Push to one side of the baking tray and on the other half of the baking tray add the chickpeas, almonds, paprika, cumin, rosemary, 1 tbsp of olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for a further 20 minutes until golden.
- Add all the dressing ingredients to a small blender, coffee grinder or place in a bowl and use a stick blender. Blend until smooth. Option to use a hand balloon whisk in a bowl if you prefer. Adjust seasoning and heat with harissa to taste.
- Toss roasted veggies and chickpea mix with dressing, avocado and coriander