Devilled Mackerel Salad
- 3 mackerel fillets
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (plus a little for greasing)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos or 1 tbsp balsamic (I like Coconut Merchant Savoury Sauce)
- good pinch of cracked black pepper
- 140 g green beans, chopped
- 80 g sugar snap peas, sliced
- 90 g salad leaves of choice, washed and dried (I used watercress and mache)
- 20 g fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 10 g fresh dill, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Good pinch of sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Make 4 small cuts in the skin of the mackerel fillets with a sharp knife. Rub over the olive oil, coconut aminos or balsamic and a good pinch of cracked black pepper on both sides. Place to one side whilst you prepare the salad and dressing.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Place the green beans in pan of boiling water and heat on a medium heat for 3 minutes until el dente. Plunge into a bowl of ice cold water. (This keeps them nice and green and crunchy.) Drain.
- Toss the salad with the green beans, sugar snap peas and herbs.
- Heat a little oil in a non stick frying pan. Add the mackerel fillets skin side down and fry over a medium heat for about 3 minutes until crisp. Flip and fry for another 1 - 2 minutes until cooked through, or to your liking.
- Serve the mackerel fillets on top of the salad and drizzle with dressing.