Food is my love language. Everyone close to me knows how much of a feeder I am; you can’t leave my house without at least a little Tupperware of snacks. It’s also why I put so much care and thought into the recipes I share with you guys. Most of the time I really plan out in advance what recipes I’m going to share with you on the blog. But sometimes I whip up a recipe by chance that is just so good I have to tell you guys immediately. And that’s exactly what happened with this Healthy Chicken Salad recipe; I made it this week for myself and Mr B, and thought “this is way too good to keep to myself”.
So here is a recipe that I’ve been really enjoying this week, straight from my kitchen to yours. I guarantee you’ll want to make this again and again.
Some of the very best dishes contain just a few simple ingredients. But what makes them great is how those different elements mingle and compliment each other. My favourite recipes are the ones that use natural ingredients – and that I can throw together out of what’s already in the fridge.
I guarantee you’ll already have most of these ingredients in your store cupboard and fridge. A super healthy and delicious chicken salad ready in 30 minutes using less than 10 ingredients (if you discount good old salt and pepper that is) – you can’t go wrong!
Not only will you love this healthy chicken salad, but your body will too. It’s brimming with nutrients and absolutely packed with protein, thanks to those pan fried chicken breasts and toasted almonds. And of course, it wouldn’t be a Modern Food Stories recipe without a good dose of healthy fats from a fabulous extra virgin olive oil dressing.
I originally included artichokes purely because I love them, and I think they compliment chicken beautifully. But did you know they’re one of the most antioxidant rich veggies you can eat? They’re also considered to be an anti-inflammatory food, so this recipe is great for my fellow autoimmune suffers.
I like to use the chargrilled deli artichokes because they have the best flavour, but you can use tinned if you prefer. Just makes sure you rinse them then drain well.
This recipe is great for those of you on a high protein, low carb diet, or if you’re just wanting a mid week healthy flexitarian meal. Its tasty, nutritious, and works great as a meal prep too.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Healthy Chicken Salad
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 2 large skinless chicken breasts
- Salt + pepper to taste
- 1 large courgette, sliced into thin strips
- Handful of almonds
- 1 packet chargrilled deli artichokes, drained
- 2 - 3 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tsp dijon
- 3/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt + pepper to taste
- optional 1 small clove garlic
- Slice the chicken into thin strips about 1/2 cm thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a non stick frying pan> Once hot (careful not to burn if using oliveoil) add the chicken in a single layer and cook for about 3 mins without turnining, allowing it to go golden on oneside. Flip and cook for about anonther 2 - 3 mins until cooked through. Set aside and keep warm.
- spray the courgette strips with olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place on a griddle pan, cooking until char marks appear on both side. Repeat for all the strips. Option to just saute in the pan in a little olive oil if you prefer.
- Toast the almonds in a dry pan for 5 - 6 minutes, tunring once until golden or roast in the oven (200C / 180C) fan for 5 - 6 minutes. Allow to cool then roughly chop.
- Mix the dressing ingredeints together in a small bowl.
- Toss chicken with courgettes, artichokes, almond, dressing and parsley. Option to serve with your favourite sauerkraut or kimchi.