I know every food blogger out there will tell you that they’re pesto recipe is the best, but trust me, I think I’ve really worked some magic with this one. It’s naturally creamy, and bursting with flavour. Totally vegan and low FODMAP too – but you wouldn’t even know it! Even the most ardent parmesan lovers will be drooling over this recipe. This creamy low FODMAP pesto is so more-ish. Like, seriously more-ish – I’d eaten half a portion before I could even use it in a recipe!
Fresh basil, extra virgin olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice and toasted ground almonds – it’s a total taste explosion. The flavour profile is cheesy, herby and rich; like throwing a party for your tastebuds.
Why Low FODMAP?
Put simply, FODMAPs are a carbohydrate found in certain foods that can trigger symptoms in those with IBS and gastro-intestinal problems. Low FODMAP recipes are specifically designed to use ingredients that are lower in these carbohydrates, making the recipe easier to digest. Whether you’re following a low FODMAP diet or not, it’s always a good idea to opt for recipes that are gentler on the gut. With this recipe it’s a no-brainer; good gut friendly ingredients, and heaps of flavour.
For this recipe I started with a traditional pesto and twisted it slightly to make it low FODMAP. I swapped out pine nuts for almonds as they’re easier to digest, but I honestly think they taste better than the original, especially if you toast them first! I used ground almonds to make life quick and easy. I know roasting is an extra step, but I promise that the flavour is so worth it.
My absolute top life hack for low FODMAP is using garlic oil. Garlic is the absolute arch nemesis of IBS, and it wreaks havoc on those of us who suffer with it, me included. But garlic oil is a fantastic alternative – all the flavour with none of the side effects! Stay tuned for my low fodmap garlic oil coming soon. You can totally make this without garlic oil though and use all olive oil and it’s still amazing!
Pesto is as versatile as it is delicious, and it’s super easy to whip up a batch. This creamy low FODMAP pesto is fantastic for when you need to throw together a quick meal, as well as levelling up your favourite recipes.
- Pasta; pesto pasta is an absolute classic, it reminds me of my days at uni. (I think I can just about remember that far back!!) Super easy and packed with flavour. Throw in a protein of your choice and swap out the pasta for a grain free alternative if you prefer.
- Spiralized veggies; pesto is a fantastic way to jazz up your veggies. Prepare a few different coloured veggies; like carrots, courgette or sweet potato, and they’ll look gorgeous dressed in that bright green pesto.
- Salads; this creamy low FODMAP dressing would make a delicious dressing for any salad. It’s the perfect way to bring your leafy greens to life.
- Chickpeas; pesto chickpeas are a new favourite of mine. The nutty flavour of the chickpeas is absolutely delicious with this creamy pesto. Check out my recipe here.
Low fodmap pesto
- 5 tbsp ground almonds
- 80 g fresh basil leaves
- 5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp garlic oil (optional) or 1 clove garlic minced if not low fodmap
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 + 1/4 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 fan.
- Place the ground almonds on a greaseproof lined baking tray and toast for 4 - 5 minutes until golden. Allow to cool.
- Add to a food porocessor with all the rest of the ingredients and blitz until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste.