Slaw addicts, lets unite! This Go With Everything Green Vegan Slaw says what it does on the tin… Goes with Everything… well it does in my life right now! There’s nothing like a good slaw to accompany your chosen choice of protein for a healthy dinner.
What is this vegan Slaw made from?
This easy Green Vegan Slaw uses crunchy raw courgettes, cucumber, fennel and celeriac as the base with lots of fresh herbs. It’s also delicious with the optional extras so feel free to add in some spring onion, apple and /or avocado too.
I’ve kept this vegan slaw green for a low-carb alternative and dressed with a dijon vegan mayonnaise but you can use normal mayo if you prefer and aren’t vegan.
Texture as well as taste
I like to use a mandoline and julienne peeler when making slaws to get fine wafers especially for the fennel and cabbage and thin strips of courgette and cucumber. You can of course just finely slice but these tools make light work of slaws and also make the texture super delicious and fine.
What goes well with these Green Vegan Slaw?
Crispy tofu like in my Tofu Satay with Rainbow Slaw , roasted tempeh or if you’re not vegan, some pan fried salmon or simple roast chicken is also really good.
I hope you enjoy it guys.
Go With Everything Green Vegan Slaw
- 70 g white cabbage
- 60 g fennel (roughly 1/2 a fennel)
- 110 g courgette (roughly 1 small courgette)
- 80 g cucumber
- 50 g celeriac
- 1 - 2 tbsp each of dill and parsley, chopped
OPTIONAL SLAW INGREDIENTS
- 1 small apple, finely sliced into matchsticks
- Green part of 2 small spring onions
- 1 medium avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp poppy seeds or up to 2 tsp sesame seeds
DIJON VEGAN MAYONNAISE
- 4 tbsp vegan mayo, or normal if you're not vegan (I like Hunter and Gather)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 small garlic clove, minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Finely slice the cabbage and fennel. I like to use a mandoline for this for ease, or you can use a sharp knife.
- Make thin strips using a julienne peeler of cucumber and courgette. Discard the core. Alternatively, if you don't have a julienne peeler you can use a sharp knife and cut fine into matchsticks.
- Cut the celeriac into thin matchsticks.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a bowl. Option to add extra garlic and seasoning. It depends on the brand of vegan mayo that you use so taste and adjust accordingly.
- Mix all the slaw ingredients in a bowl. Feel free to add in any of all of the optional extras.
- Combine the vegan dijon mayo through the Vegan Green Slaw and serve. This is super nice chilled from the fridge.