Exciting new update today guys to one of my most popular recipes; How to cook the best cauliflower rice. Today i’m updating it to include how to make the ultimate broccoli and cauliflower rice with options for a delicious sugar free dressing and how to make it allium free. You can also make this veggie rice recipe fodmap friendly by using just broccoli rice and having a small portion.
Want to learn how to cook the best cauliflower rice?
Tried to make it before and found it tasted of nothing?
Soggy like porridge?
Smelt of sweaty socks?
Well look no further, broccoli and cauliflower rice just got its best ever makeover.
There are many ways to make popular low carb rice alternatives like broccoli and cauliflower rice. Tonight i’m sharing my favourite. The secret to the ultimate fluffy veggie rice lies in the 3 S’s… steam, squeeze, saute.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST CAULIFLOWER RICE
Firstly, steam the broccoli and cauliflower rice for 2 – 5 minutes until soft, transfer to a muslin cloth and squeeze out the excess water. (Option to microwave if you prefer.) Heat your chosen oil in a pan, a good pinch of quality salt like Pink Himalayan or sea salt and fry for a further 2 minutes until slightly crispy. And there you have it, how to cook the best cauliflower rice.
You can use a combination of broccoli and cauliflower or just one or the other (just make sure you use about 700g if making the full servings.) From there you can add spices, herbs, chilli’s, tomatoes, nut based creams or try my simple sugar free dressing below. Option to add the onions and garlic if you’re okay with alliums. It makes it extra delicious.
How to cook the best broccoli and cauliflower rice
- 1 head broccoli (350g florets)
- 1 medium cauliflower (350g florets)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Pink Himalayan or sea salt, or to taste
TO SERVE (OPTIONAL)
- 30 g parsley, chopped
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil (if not adding the dressing)
- Remove the stem and leaves from the broccoli and cauliflower. Chop into chunks and blitz in a food processor using the S blade until they resemble a rice consistency.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower rice in a metal steamer in 1cm of water and cook for 3 - 5 minutes (or microwave on medium/ high for 3 - 5 minutes) until soft. You may need to do this in batches.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a muslin cloth or clean thin tea towel. Squeeze out the excess water. This is the magic step that will make your veggie rices fluffy!
OPTION 1 - plain broccoli or cauliflower rice or a mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or coconut oil in a pan. Add the veggie rices (you can use all cauliflower or all broccoli if you prefer, just make sure it's the same weight) and fry for 1 further minute. Fluff up with a fork and mix well. Season to taste.
OPTION 2 - with onions, garlic and dressing
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the onions, saute on a medium/ low heat for 3 - 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic for a further 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir through the broccoli or cauliflower rice, or mix of. Season to taste.
- Stir all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle, as much to taste, over your broccoli and cauliflower rice and top with optional fresh parsley and avocado.