How to cook the best broccoli and cauliflower rice
- 1 head broccoli (350g florets)
- 1 medium cauliflower (350g florets)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small onion (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos
- Pink Himalayan or sea salt, or to taste
TO SERVE (OPTIONAL)
- 30 g parsley, chopped
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil (if not adding the dressing)
- Remove the stem and leaves from the broccoli and cauliflower. Chop into chunks and blitz in a food processor using the S blade until they resemble a rice consistency.
- Place the broccoli and cauliflower rice in a metal steamer in 1cm of water and cook for 3 - 5 minutes (or microwave on medium/ high for 3 - 5 minutes) until soft. You may need to do this in batches.
- Allow to cool slightly and transfer to a muslin cloth or clean thin tea towel. Squeeze out the excess water. This is the magic step that will make your veggie rices fluffy!
OPTION 1 - plain broccoli or cauliflower rice or a mix.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or coconut oil in a pan. Add the veggie rices (you can use all cauliflower or all broccoli if you prefer, just make sure it's the same weight) and fry for 1 further minute. Fluff up with a fork and mix well. Season to taste.
OPTION 2 - with onions, garlic and dressing
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the onions, saute on a medium/ low heat for 3 - 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic for a further 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Stir through the broccoli or cauliflower rice, or mix of. Season to taste.
- Stir all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle, as much to taste, over your broccoli and cauliflower rice and top with optional fresh parsley and avocado.