A good salad dressing recipe is such a must-have. It’s the perfect way to add a bit of pizazz to any salad and bring those fresh ingredients to life. This Italian Salad Dressing is one of my absolute favourites; honestly I don’t think I go a week without making up a batch. The flavours are so classic; olive oil, herbs and lemon juice – you can’t go wrong!
This Italian Dressing is Vegan, sugar and sweetner free… because my lovely friends you’re sweet enough! There’s also a low fodmap option. Simply substitute 1 tbsp of olive oil for garlic oil, or you can leave it out if you prefer.
I can’t emphasise enough how important it is to use a good quality olive oil. It really is the star of this dressing, so if there’s any ingredient you don’t skimp out on, make sure it’s the olive oil. A good quality extra virgin olive oil should taste rich, peppery, fruity and earthy, and should’t be too light in colour; you want a nice deep yellow-green. Olive oil is bursting with antioxidants and healthy unsaturated fats that are oh-so good for you; you definitely don’t want to miss out on all that goodness by opting for an overly processed oil.
- Salmon – This herby Italian dressing would be perfect drizzled on top of a pan fried salmon fillet. The bright tangy flavour of the dressing will really bring the salmon to life. Make sure you get those skins nice and crispy in the pan though or roast in the oven, that’s the best bit!
- Salads – the consistency of this dressing makes it perfect for massaging into kale, or drizzling over a leafy green salad mix. It’s delicious with fresh tomatoes too.
- Pasta – mix this dressing into some wholewheat or low-carb pasta alternative (my favourite is ZENB) for a deliciously light and summery pasta salad. Throw in all your favourite veggies and some protein and you’ve a fantastic Summer Salad that’s light and flavoursome.
- Marinade – This Italian dressing would even make a great marinade for some chicken breasts or thighs or tofu.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or for low fodmap, substitute 1 tbsp olive oil for 1 tbsp garlic infused olive oil)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tsp dried Italian seasoning
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl using a hand balloon whisk or shake well in a jam jar.
- Store in a sealed glass jar in the fridge for 5 days.