Easy No Waste Roasted Tomato Sauce
- 1 kg fresh tomatoes (ideally a sweeter variety like cherry)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 1 small red onion, peeled + cut into 2cm wedges (70g)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp dried
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn (15g)
- 2/3 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 fan.
- Chop the tomatoes into halves or quarters, depending on how big they are. I recommend halves for cherry. Place on a non-stick baking tray (option to line with greaseproof paper for less washing up) and toss with the olive oil, garlic cloves (in their skin), onion, oregano thyme, salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until soft and starting to char. Roughly stir through the tomato puree (or add in dollops) for the last 10 minutes of cooking.
- Remove the garlic from the skins and place in a blender with the rest of the ingredients from the tray. Blitz. Add the torn basil leaves and pulse leaving some a little chunky for texture, or until smooth if you prefer. Taste and adjust the seasoning to taste.