Simply the best sweet potato fries i’ve tasted! These Shoestring Baked Sweet Potato Fries are super healthy, nutritious and packed with flavour. They’re also vegan, paleo, AIP, whole30 and GAPS friendly.
These baked sweet potato fries make a nutritious side for a quick and easy plant based dinner. I also love them for snacking on with a healthy dip like my Vegan Avocado Cream with Crackling Seeds or Roasted Red Pepper Avocado Dip. Or how about packing in a Tupperware and taking to work with your favourite source of protein for a healthy lunch?
Why are sweet potatoes good for you?
Sweet potatoes are rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals. The high fiber content helps promote the growth of good bacteria in the gut and contribute to a healthy digestive system.
They’re also high in antioxidants and can protect your body from chronic disease but they’re also starchy so if you’re following a low starch diet, go easy on them. These Shoestring Baked Sweet Potato Fries are so delicious, it’s easy to get carried away!
How to make the best sweet potato fries
Cut them fine. Today I made Shoestring Baked Sweet Potato Fries. Shoestring simply means cut thinly. The result is a sweet potato fry that is soft on inside and slightly crisp on the outside.
Add a well balanced seasoning. These vegan sweet potato fries are seasoned with thyme, rosemary, sea salt and nutritional yeast. The fortified cheesy nutritional yeast not only adds incredible flavour but also helps boost your vitamin B12, an essential nutrient for balancing your mood.
I like Engevita Yeast Flakes with B12 because they’re fortified with vitamin B12 and also tastes great. Not like sweaty socks at all… which some do taste of. Not that I know what sweaty socks taste like but I imagine it’s not very nice!
Roast don’t fry. Roasting sweet potato fries in the oven makes them much healthier. They don’t require as much oil and the oil of choice, olive or coconut, is much better for you than vegetable oils used for frying.
Cheesy Vegan Shoestring Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (1.2kg)
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
- 4 - 6 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 2 tsp dried)
- 4 - 6 springs fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan or sea salt (or to taste)
- 3 - 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 425F / 220C / 200 fan.
- Wash the sweet potatoes. Option to peel too if you prefer. Slice into thin fries about 6mm in diameter.
- Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper. Add the sweet potato fries and toss with the olive oil and salt. Cook for 30 - 40 minutes until soft.
- Add the rosemary, thyme and nutritional yeast. Toss well to coat and cook for a further 5 minutes until golden and slightly crisp. Note, if using fresh herbs, pull off some of the herbs from the stems before roasting and mix.