Vegan Stuffing - No Bread
All the flavours of your favourite stuffing made meat free and without bread! A lot of plant based and vegan stuffings contain bread to bind so for the those of you who find bread bloating or struggle with grains, these Vegan Stuffing Balls are the answer to your Christmas wishes…
- 150 g pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled + cut into 1cm small cubes
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red pepper, seeds removed + cubed
- 1 small red onion, wedges
- 100 g cauliflower florets or celeriac, peeled + cubed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin / sunflower seed mix
- Zest 1/2 lemon
- Zest 1/2 orange
- 4 vacuum packed cooked chestnuts (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk powder
- 3 tbsp flax meal
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary chopped or 1 tsp dried
- 1.5 tsp fresh sage, chopped or 3/4 tsp dried
- 1.5 tsp fresh thyme, chopped or 3/4 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp dried cranberries, apricots or dates, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 fan and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Add the pumpkin, carrot, pepper, onion, cauliflower or celeriac and garlic. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and pinch of salt. Roast for 30 minutes or until soft. If the onions, peppers or cauliflower start to cook too much remove and set aside until the pumpkin is done. After 24 mins ass the seeds to a corner of the baking tray and cook for the remaining 6 mins till golden.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan on a low heat. Sizzle the herbs for 1 - 2 mins till slightly crisp. This will take the woodyness away and make the best flavour.
- Add the roasted veggies, seeds, ground psyllium husk powder, ground flax, sizzled herbs (reserving a little of the oil for the top), roasted garlic (minus the skins), lemon + lime zest, chestnuts / dried fruit if using, salt and pepper. Pulse until soft. Allow to stand for 5 - 10 minutes to let the flax and psyllium firm up then roll into balls.
- Place back on a greaseproof lined baking tray and brush with the reserved herb oil. Bake for 7 - 10 minutes until golden, turning once. Allow to cool slightly to firm up.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 170kcal | Carbohydrates: 17.4g | Protein: 7.1g | Fat: 9.7g | Saturated Fat: 1.6g | Fiber: 4.9g | Sugar: 5.5gPrint Recipe