Is there no end to the amazing talents of the humble cauliflower when it comes to recipes? You’ve probably had cauliflower rice, maybe even cauliflower tortillas but how about cauliflower crackers?
These Low carb Cauliflower Crackers are nut free so great for those of you who struggle digesting nuts. They’re also a really healthy way to sneak more veggies into your diet and perfect if you’re following a keto vegan diet too.
How to flavour these keto cauliflower crackers?
I’ve started with the base recipe today, which is just 5 simple ingredients you’ve probably all got in your cupboards or which you can easily pick up at the supermarket, but i’ve also added some optional flavourings which work really well to flavour them up a bit.
Feel free to add some real grated parmesan to replace the nutritional yeast if you’re not dairy free or even 1 tsp of curry powder or 1/2 tsp of paprika and 1/2 ground cumin for more of a Indian / Middle Eastern flavour.
How to serve these nut free keto vegan crackers?
I love to snack on these low carb crackers served with a good babaganoush, hummus (or cauliflower hummus if you’re low carb), as a dipper for my favourite soup or even just dipped in olive oil… and maybe a drizzle of balsamic too… and sprinkled with a touch of flaked sea salt. Sometimes simple is best!
I hope you enjoy them guys.
5-Ingredient Keto Vegan Cauliflower Crackers
- 1 cup flax meal
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small cauliflower, florets only (200g)
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Place the cauliflower florets in a food processor and blitz until fine. You want this a bit smaller than your usual cauliflower rice size.
- Place the riced cauliflower into a heatproof bowl and microwave for 6 minutes on high. Transfer to a muslin cloth or clean fine teatowel. Allow to cool a little so it doesn't burn your hands then squeeze out as much water as possible. It should be super compact like a big ball.
- Place into a bowl and fluff with a fork. Add the flax meal, salt and pepper, plus any extra seasonings you choose. Kneed together with clean hands until it forms a dough.
- Roll the cauliflower cracker dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper until about 3 - 4 mm thick. Fold over the edges using the edge of the greaseproof paper to form a rectangle and reroll. Do this a couple of times until you get a sort of rectangular shape. Cut into 3 cm squares or larger rectangles on the bottom sheet of greaseproof paper, totally up to you. I used a Betty Bossi cracker roller for a pretty shape and rerolled the excess to get more crackers.
- Place the greaseproof on a baking tray and bake for about 18 minutes, or until golden. Keep an eye on them from about 12 minutes to make sure they don't burn.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to crisp up.