Delicious Winter Remedy
To me, nothing is more comforting than a big ol’ bowl of healthy chicken soup. This recipe in particular is nourishing, healing, and does wonders for your gut. Not to mention, it’s blow-your-socks-off delicious too! Like a cosy cuddle in a bowl, this recipe is always on repeat in my house.
A fantastic remedy for winter sniffles, this soup is practically made to ward off those dreaded germs. Packed to the rafters with nourishing ingredients, easy to make, and super flavorful—this healthy chicken soup recipe is about to become your new fave, I guarantee it!
Gut Loving Recipe
I am well and truly on the gut nourishing train this season guys. I’m DONE with restrictions! Food should help us heal, nourish and thrive, and that’s exactly what the inspo for this recipe was.
Right off the bat, this healthy chicken soup doesn’t contain any thickeners, gums, or inflammatory starches. I LOVE finding ways to hit those texture and consistency goals without the need to resort to dodgy additives. For those of us with auto-immune conditions, IBS or sensitive tummies, additional flours and starches are a big no-no. That’s why this recipe is bursting with natural, whole food ingredients, with no UPFs in sight! With good quality ingredients there is just no need for it, the flavour is already there!
Low FODMAP Swaps
For my fellow IBS warriors, don’t worry; I’ve got your back. I know how inflammatory common ingredients like garlic and onion can be (both have been nicknamed ‘evil’ in my house).
But just because we have sensitive digestive systems, doesn’t mean we don’t love the same flavours as everyone else. And garlic is such a soup season staple after all.
That’s why using garlic oil instead of minced garlic is one of my fave low FODMAP swaps! Not only does it pack in all the same garlicky flavour without the painful side effects, but its also a great way to pack in some extra healthy fats and polyphenols, which are powerful at protecting against oxidative stress.
Top Tips & Recipe Hacks
This Healthy Chicken soup recipe is an absolute dream for using up leftovers. I don’t know about you guys, but I make a roast chicken at least once a week. It’s so useful for meal prep and it’s become a weekly routine for me to use up the last bits of delicious crispy chicken in a nourishing soup. For an even easier, straight-forward, and totally stress-free cooking experience, get my LIFE CHANGING recipe for air fryer spatchcock chicken here.
For the most nourishing, gut-loving soup, you’re going to want to use home-made stock. It’s absolutely packed with collagen and essential amino acids, and nothing you buy in a box will be nearly as nutritious or flavoursome.
My top tip here is to prep ahead and freeze your homemade stock in batches. It’s such a cheap and simple kitchen hack that will save you loads of time when it comes to winter soup season.
Chicken: Well, we can’t exactly have a healthy chicken soup without the chicken! I ADORE chicken when it’s a little fattier and with the skin on. That way it crisps up like a dream and tastes totally delicious.
Leek, Celery, and Carrot: this sexy little veggie trio is the flavour powerhouse that gives this healthy chicken soup a mega nutritious base. Using leek is also a low FODMAP alternative to onion, so win-win!
White Cabbage, Mushrooms, and Fennel: Some extra foodie goodness from three of my favourite ever veggies. Feel free to swap out these for your preferred veg, but I think this combo works perfectly. Light, fresh and delicious! Make sure you opt for a really tasty mushroom like chestnut or shiitake too!
Fresh Rosemary, Thyme, and Parsley: Fresh herbs are a must have for any chicken soup. The flavour they add is just unbeatable!
This recipe is fabulously dairy-free, but if that’s not a requirement for you, then I LOVE a good knob of ghee or butter for some added flavour. Ghee is also loaded with butyrate acid, a fatty acid that helps regulate blood sugar levels, reduce inflammation, and is healing to the gut lining too.
Can’t get enough of soup season? Me neither.
But fear not guys, I’ve got plenty of delicious soup recipes for you.
For more nourishing soup vibes, my Healing Chicken Broth is a go-to!
Or if you’re craving some seasonal veggie action, then this Roasted Pumpkin Soup with Sizzled Sage might be right up your street!
Healthy Chicken Soup
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (use 2 tbsp + 1 tbsp garlic oil for low fod map)
- 1 large leek, cut into thin rings
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 3 cups white cabbage, finely shredded
- 180 g mushrooms, sliced (I like wild shiitake, king oyster or enoki)
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely diced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, finely diced
- 25 g fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (substitute for 1 tbsp garlic oil for low fod map)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp flaked sea salt, to tatse
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1.2 litres chicken stock
- 3 cups Shredded cooked roast chicken
- Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a large stock pot. Heat on a medium heat then add the leek, carrots and celery. Saute for 3 - 4 mins until soft.
- Add the Mushrooms, cabbage and fennel for 2 - 3 mins until just soft. Add the herbs, garlic (if using), salt and pepper for 30 seconds.
- Add the stock and bay leaves and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 10 mins. Add the cooked chicken and cook for 10 more mins until flavoursome.
- Serve with remaining olive oil or add a good know of ghee or butter.
- Option to add a small squeeze of lemon juice if you like.