Have I got a winning winter warmer for you today guys? This Red Lentil Soup with Tofu Toasts is the most nourishing and restorative soup for winter. Made with no soak red lentils, pumpkin and kale, it’s both chunky and smooth, so the texture as well as the taste is incredible.
What makes this the best red lentil soup?
Well the flavour is incredible. Delicately spiced with ginger, turmeric, cumin and a hint of chilli. But it’s the texture that also adds to the WOW factor. By blitzing half the soup until smooth and then mixing with the chunky soup, it’s thick, smooth and chunky! A winner all round.
What are Tofu Toasts?
If you’re looking for a grain free, protein packed alternative to bread, that won’t leave you asleep after eating it, you gotta try my tofu toasts!
Tofu toasts are slices of tofu, prepared in one of my marinades, and baked in the oven until crisp. You can also fry in a little oil in a frying pan if you prefer.
There’s so many flavour possibilities, but today i’ve started with a simple paprika toast as they complement the soup well. Ping me a comment below if you’d like to see a post on all the different options for Tofu Toasts.
How to make Tofu Toasts
Simply cut a block of firm tofu into 1/2 – 1 cm thick slices. Mix all the marinade ingredients together and massage/ paste with a pastry brush onto both sides of the tofu.
Leave to marinate for an hour, if you have time, but if not, just crack on! Place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 45 minutes – 1 hour depending on how crisp you like them and also how thin they were cut.
Red Lentil Soup with Tofu Toasts
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, diced small
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 25 g fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp chilli flakes (or to taste)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small squash, peeled and chopped into chunks (500g)
- 125 g no soak red lentils
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved (165g)
- 1.25 l vegetable stock
- 1/3 - 1/2 tsp sea salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp Cracked back pepper, or to taste
- 60 g kale
- 1 packet firm tofu (396g)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tbsp coconut aminos (optional)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt (optional)
- 10 g fresh coriander, stalks removed, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C/ 180C fan and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Drain and rinse the tofu. Pat dry on kitchen paper. Slice in to 1/2 cm thick toasts. Place on the baking tray and cover in the paprika, olive oil optional coconut aminos and salt. Ensure both sides are coated. Bake in the oven for 45 minutes - 1 hour or until crisp to your liking.
RED LENTIL SOUP
- Add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a non stick pan. Saute the leek (or you can use diced onion if you prefer) and celery on a medium heat for 3 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, chilli, cumin and squash. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils. Add the lentils, tomatoes, stock, seasoning and bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes until the lentils and pumpkin are tender.
- Remove 1/ 2 the soup and using a stick blender, blitz until smooth. Option to transfer to a high speed blender. Pour the blitzed soup back into the pan along with the chunky soup you temporarily removed. This is my top tip to making this Red Lentil Soup with Tofu Toasts really tasty, and thickens it too.
- Add the kale and warm until wilted. (About 1 - 2 minutes). Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Serve into bowls and top with fresh coriander, tofu toasts, a drizzle of olive oil and optional coconut yoghurt