Smoky Red Lentil and Vegetable Soup
This soup is smoky, rich, and comforting. It will warm you from the inside out and leave you with that good food feeling all day. Protein packed, naturally healthy, plant based perfection. I was so happy with how this recipe turned out guys, I really hope you love it too.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 cup carrot, peeled + diced
- 2 ribs celery, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp paprika ( I like 1 tbsp smoked + 1 tbsp sweet)
- 1.5 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed + drained
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1.3 litres stock
- 1/2 tsp flaked sea salt, or to taste
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper, or to taste
- 100 g kale, chopped, or spinach
- Small handful fresh coriader, finely diced
- 2 - 3 tsp lemon juice
- Optional grated vegan parmesan (or regular if you're not dairy free)
- Optional dairy free yoghurt (or Greek if you're not dairy free)
- Heat the oil in a soup pot. Add the onions, carrot, celery and cook on a medium heat for 4 - 5 minutes until the onions are translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the lentils, spices, herbs, salt and pepper, tomato puree and sundried tomatoes and cook for 1 mintue then add the stock. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 - 20 minutes until the soup thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove 1 cup of stock and place in a jug (careful not to take the bayleaves). Blitz with a hand stick blender until smooth. This adds great flavour and also thickens the soup without the need for flour.
- Add the blitzed soup back to the pan alond with the kale or spinach, stir to combine nad turn off the heat so the greens wilt. Add lemon juice and stir. Season to taste and top with corriander and optional cheese or yoghurt and good drizzle of olive oil.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 12.5g | Fat: 8.6g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Fiber: 14.9gPrint Recipe