Not only is this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup an absolute stunner, it’s seriously delicious too. Super creamy and packed full of flavour, it’s the kind of comfort food I crave when they weather is cold like now.
What gives this Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup the best flavour?
Frying the broccoli and cauliflower first – this helps give a nice depth and caramelisation to the veggies with ultimately yields a better tasting soup. You may be thinking, why did she add cauliflower when it’s a broccoli soup? Adding a little cauliflower helps with with a really creamy texture and a well balanced flavour without too much extra fat.
Vegan cream cheese – using a vegan cream cheese instead of grated vegan cheddar gives a lovely creaminess without being too overpowering. Of course, you can use any vegan cheese you like so feel free to experiment!
I used the vegan cream cheese from Nush Foods as it’s so good and without preservatives. Just almonds, carob gum, a little potato starch and vegan live probiotic cultures. The other brand of vegan cream cheese I like is Violife Cream Cheese and it works well in this recipe too.
Low-carb / keto – replace the vegan cream cheese with full fat cream cheese or for a vegan keto use a homemade cashew or almond cream cheese without starch.
Paleo + Whole30 – replace the vegan cream cheese with a homemade cashew or almond cream cheese.
For more nourishing vegan soup recipes, check out my Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Chestnuts and Winter Pesto or Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup with Baked Tofu – they’re two of my favourites.
The Best Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or vegan butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 ribs of celery, diced small
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 400 g broccoli florets, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 250 g cauliflower florets, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp flaked sea salt, or to taste
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese I like Nush Foods
- Optional to serve 1/4 tbsp red pepper or chilli flakes
- Heat the olive oil or vegan butter in a large pan. Add the onion and celery and fry on a medium heat for 3 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 more minute.
- Add the broccoli and cauliflower and fry for another 3 minutes until the veg is slightly coloured.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil then reduce the heat a little and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes until the stock reduces and thickens.
- Place the Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup into a blender and blitz until smooth. It's best to do this in two batches to avoid any spitting and burning yourself!
- Pour the Broccoli Cheese Soup back into the pan and stir through the nut cream cheese, warming it a little until combined. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve with bread or croutons and an optional pinch of red pepper/ chilli flakes, drizzle of olive oil or another dollop of nut cheese.