Big, bold and beautiful! Say hello to the first of my Soup and Stews recipes. I’m starting off with a classic with a upcycled twist. Super lush and creamy Vegan Carrot and Coriander Soup. Made creamy only by using vegetables, no added cream or dairy, making it super nutritious and healthy.
It’s so creamy, rich and utterly delicious that you’d never know it wasn’t laden with milk, butter or cream. This Carrot and Coriander Soup is totally dairy free. The secret to it’s wonderful depth of flavour comes from using a good concentrated stock, replacing some of the carrots with cauliflower and its silky smoothness is thanks to the high speed motor in my Vitamix.
It would work equally well in other food processors like the Magimix and Nutribullet. If you don’t have one of these magic kitchen accessories just yet, a hand blender works fine too but you may not get the same creaminess. Still tastes good though!
Why add cauliflower?
I love to add cauliflower to this Vegan Carrot and Cauliflower Soup because not only does it make it super creamy, it also helps reduce the sweetness, making it more rounded and balanced on the palate.
Don’t forget the sizzled herbs
Have you tried crisping up herbs yet? OMG if not, these are a game changer. Please don’t skip these. They literally take 2 minutes and are the piece de la resistance in this Carrot and Coriander Soup. Drizzle them over the bowl of soup with the oil before serving. So good!
Stay tuned for more gut healing, hearty soups topped with lots of my creative sparkle coming soon this Autumn.
Vegan Carrot + Coriander Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 480 g carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 280 g cauliflower florets, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 tsp flaked sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper or to taste
- 1.5 litres stock
- 1.5 tsp ground coriander
- 1 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- small handful fresh coriander, chopped
- Heat a 2 tablespoons of olive oil or avocado oil in a large soup pan. Add the onion, carrots and celery and sweat for about 4 minutes until they start to soften. Add the garlic for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add to the stock with the dried coriander, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil then reduce to a medium / low simmer and cook for a further 15 - 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the sizzled herbs. Heat avocado or olive oil gently in a pan till warm (careful not to burn the oil if using olive oil.) Add the coriander and cook until slightly crispy on a low / medium heat. Don't cook too quickly, be patient so the herbs don't burn. Turn off the heat.
- Add soup to a high speed blender and blitz until super smooth. Do this in two batches to avoid it exploding. If it's too thick, add a little more stock. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Pour your silky smooth Vegan Carrot and Coriander Soup into a bowl, top with sizzled herbs (don't forget the oil too, it's the best bit!) A super easy healthy classic soup that's utterly delicious.