A super easy, comforting pumpkin soup with style. This Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Coconut is utterly delicious. It’s packed full of flavour thanks to the coconut cream and warming, nourishing spices.
The secret to a good soup is all down to the stock! Concentrating the stock really adds a depth of flavour that takes this Vegan Pumpkin Soup to the whole next level.
Topped with a paprika oil, toasted seeds and crumbled coconut cream… because everything in life just feels better when it’s well dressed. Right guys? For an AIP version, simply leave off the seeds.
I hope you enjoy as much as I did. Jo x
Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Coconut
- 1 medium pumpkin (800g) (Hokkaido or Kombucha you don't have to peel)
- 600 ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 white onion (150g), finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli/ tomato flakes, or mix of both
- 1/2 tsp ginger powder
- 60 g creamed coconut
- Good pinch sea or Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh coriander
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 25 g pumpkin seeds
- 20 g sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp extra vrgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Good pinch of chilli tomato flakes
- Preheat the oven to 190C (fan assisted.)
- Prepare the pumpkin by peeling, removing the seeds and chopping into 2cm chunks. If you can find Delicata, Kombucha or Hokkaido, there’s no need to peel.
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the onion and fry on a medium/ low heat for 4 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic, paprika, chilli/ tomato flakes, ginger, salt, pepper and cook for 1 further minute. Add the pumpkin and stir.
- Tie the coriander stalks with a little kitchen string (keep the leaves to serve.) Add to the soup. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 30 minutes until the stock reduces and the juices thicken.
- Meanwhile, place the seeds on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 8 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- When the soup is cooked, remove the coriander stalks and blitz the soup in a high speed blender until smooth. Return to the pan. Grate in the creamed coconut (reserving 1 tbsp to sprinkle on top) and stir in the lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Heat the olive oil (or butter if you prefer) in a pan on a low heat until it sizzles. Add the remaining paprika and chilli/ tomato flakes, swirl in the pan and remove from the heat immediately.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with seeds, grated coconut cream, chopped coriander and spiced oil.