No Waste Vegan Pumpkin, Ginger and Turmeric Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut or extra virgin olive oil (I like Coconut Merchant)
- 1 small onion (85g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1.5 tsp paprika
- 30 g fresh ginger, grated
- 800 g butternut squash or pumpkin (I like Hokkaido or delicata)
- 1/2 small cauliflower, florets only (250g)
- 1.6 litres stock
- 1/2 - 1 tsp ground turmeric
- Good pinch of Pink Himalayan or sea salt
- Good pinch of cracked black pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp almond butter (optional, don't use if following AIP)
- 200 g butternut squash or pumpkin
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of Pink Himalayan or sea salt
- 3 tbsp fresh coriander or watercress, chopped
- 4 tbsp pumpkin seeds (optional, omit if AIP)
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan assisted / 200C / 400F.
- Peel the butternut or pumpkin, remove the seeds, place them to one side and chop into chunks. If using Hokkaido or Delicata Squash there's no waste as you don't need to peel it.
- Peel the onion, garlic and ginger. Dice the onion and garlic fine but keep separate. Grate the ginger.
- If making the pumpkin croutons, simply chop into chunks, toss with olive oil and salt, place on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 30 - 40 minutes until golden.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive or coconut oil in a pan and gently sauté the onions on a medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for a further 30 seconds. Add the pumpkin and cauliflower florets. Fry for 2 - 3 minutes to soften.
- Add the stock, turmeric, paprika and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Blitz the vegan pumpkin soup in a high speed food processor.
- Meanwhile, place the seeds from the pumpkin on a baking tray, spray with a little olive oil, a pinch of salt and roast for about 15 minutes until golden. Time varies depending on the pumpkin as the seeds are different. Option to use pumpkin seeds from a packet which only take about 5 minutes to roast. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Stir the lime juice / optional almond butter through the Pumpkin, Ginger and Turmeric Soup and top with pumpkin seeds, pumpkin croutons, chopped fresh coriander or watercress and the remaining 1/2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.