Vegan Pumpkin Soup with Chestnuts and Winter Pesto
- 450 g pumpkin, peeled and seeds removed
- 200 g cauliflower
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, skin on
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil (I like Coconut Merchant)
- 900 ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 - 1 tsp salt, to taste
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 75 g chestnuts, chopped
- 20 g kale, stalks removed
- 1 sprig rosemary, leaves only
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove, roasted like above
- 90 ml olive oil
- 25 g pine nuts
- Good pinch - 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220C / 200 fan.
- Chop the pumpkin into 2cm cubes. Place the pumpkin, onion and garlic (including the clove for the pesto) on a greaseproof lined baking tray. Toss in 2 tbsp of olive oil and roast for 35 minutes until soft.
- After 28 minutes add the pine nuts to one corner of the tray and roast for 7 minutes until slightly golden. Remove the tray from the oven when cooked.
- Remove the skin from the garlic and add the 2 of the roasted cloves to a saucepan along with the pumpkin, onion, stock, salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the vegan pumpkin soup to a high speed blender and blitz until smooth. Alternatively, you can use a stick blender.
- Place the winter pesto ingredients in the small bowl of a food processor or use a stick blender (along with the toasted pine nuts and 1 roasted garlic clove) and blitz until smooth.
- Serve the Vegan Pumpkin Soup with chopped chestnuts and a drizzle of winter pesto.
- Leftover pesto can be stored in an airtight tupperware in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for 2 months.