Flourless Vegan Banana Bread with Almond Butter
- 230 g ground almonds (2 1/4 cups)
- 1 tbsp gluten free baking powder
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- 12 tbsp almond milk
- 5 ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 3 apples or pears
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- Optional 1 - 3 tsp coconut honey or maple syrup to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan assisted) / 200C / 400F.
- Place the chia seeds in a bowl with the almond milk and soak for 10 minutes. Stir.
- Peel, core and chop the apples or pears into 2cm chunks. Add to a pan with the water and simmer on a medium/ low heat for 20 - 25 minutes until soft and all the water has evaporated. Allow to cool. Add the cinnamon. Blitz either in a blender of mash with a fork until smooth.
- Place 4 bananas in a mixing bowl and mash with a fork. Add the vanilla, ground almonds, baking powder, cooled apple/ pear puree, almond butter, soaked chia seeds and optional sweetener. Mix well and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Grease a non stick loaf tin with a little coconut oil. (I used 22 x 12 cm.)
- Pour the flourless Vegan Banana Bread mix into the tin and spread evenly to the edges. Cut the remaining banana in half lengthways and place on top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 - 50 minutes until golden and you can insert and remove a skewer without any crumbs sticking. Remove from the oven.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes then remove from the tin. Place on a cooling rack and allow to fully cool before slicing. Serve with coconut yoghurt for the ultimate dairy free pudding.