Paleo Banana Bread Muffins
- 4 eggs
- 50 g melted coconut oil (I like Coconut Merchant)
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 100 g ground almonds (1 cup)
- 1.5 tbsp chia seeds ground
- 1 heaped tsp baking powder
- 2 medium bananas
- 1 tbsp vanilla powder
- 20 g pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 tsp oil for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 180C (fan assisted.)
- Separate the yolks from the egg whites. Place the yolks and melted coconut oil together in a bowl and whisk until combined. Don't worry if slightly lumpy at this stage as the coconut oil will melt upon cooking.
- Add the ground almonds, mashed bananas, ground chia seeds, baking powder and vanilla to the egg mix. Stir. Add the almond milk and stir again.
- Whisk the egg whites until fluffy in a high speed food processor like a Magimix. It's this step that makes the muffins light and fluffy.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the batter until combined. Don't over beat or the muffins will become dense.
- Line a muffin tin with cases and spray the inside of the cases with a little olive or coconut oil to prevent sticking.
- Spoon the mixture for the Paleo banana bread muffins into the cases leaving a little room at the top of the case for the muffins to rise.
- Bake in the oven for a total of 25 minutes. After 15 minutes add the pumpkin seeds and continue cooking for the remaining 10 minutes until golden on top and you can insert and remove a skewer without crumbs sticking. Place on a wire wrack for 10 minutes to cool and firm up.