Gooey almond butter, all nestled inside a mouthful of bitter sweet dark chocolate. Chocoholics beware these raw refined sugar free Double Almond Butter Chocolates are divine. It’s the contrast in textures that will send your tastebuds wild!
Sweetened using only a tiny amount of raw honey (optional) and using just 5 other simple, pure ingredients – cacao, cacao butter, almond butter, ground almonds and vanilla powder (from BuyWholefoodsOnline.) They’re a much healthier alternative to the vast majority of processed, sugar laden chocolates on the market today.
Is Chocolate Good For you?
Chocolate is actually good for you if you make it from raw cacao. Full of antioxidants and makes us feel happy, right girls? It’s when it’s mixed with sugar, vegetable fats and emulsifiers that the health benefits diminish.
I prefer raw 100% dark chocolate so I tend to leave out the honey but it does take some getting used to if your palate is accustomed to sweet foods. 100% dark chocolate is growing in popularity though with luxury chocolatiers like Hotel Chocolat and Pacari now making 100% alternatives. If you have a sweet tooth, I’d recommend adding the honey.
Sugar Free Double Almond Butter Chocolates
- 3 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 100 g cacao butter
- 1 tsp vanilla powder, or the seeds from 1 fresh vanilla pod
- 1 tsp runny coconut honey
- 1 heaped tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- Pinch of salt (only if not in the almond butter)
- Add the raw cacao butter to a glass jug and place in a pan of boiling water (1 inch deep) on a low heat. Melt gently.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the raw cacao powder, vanilla and mix well using a non electric hand whisk.
- Add honey and mix well. Taste and see if it’s to your liking.
- Pour the chocolate into your chocolate moulds or ice cube trays (only 2/3 fill). Silicone ones as best as the hard ones are more difficult to get the chocolates out!
- Mix the almond butter and ground almonds in a bowl. You'll need to judge how runny your almond butter is as to how much ground almonds you add. You want the mixture to be firm enough to roll into little balls but not to dry.
- Roll into 10 - 12 small balls. Add one to each centre of the chocolate mould and fill to the top with the remaining chocolate.
- Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes until set.
- Remove the Double Almond Butter Chocolates from the moulds and enjoy.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days.