Vegan Chocolate Muffins with Whipped Coconut Yoghurt Frosting
- 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp raw cacao
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk (I like Plenish)
- 6 tbsp aquafaba (whisked chickpea water)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 3 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400F / 200C / 180 fan.
- Line a muffin pan with greased muffin liners or use silicone muffin moulds.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Whisk, using an electric whisk, the brine from a carton of chickpeas to make the aquafaba, until light and fluffy. I like to use chickpeas just in water. You’ll need 6 whipped tbsp for this recipe. Discard the rest.
- Add the wet ingredients (coconut oil, almond milk, maple syrup and aquafaba) to the dry and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mix into the muffin cases, about 3/4 of the way to the top, and bake in the oven for about 15 - 18 minutes or until you can insert and remove a toothpick without any crumbs sticking. Allow to cool and remove from the silicone cases.
- Mix all the coconut yoghurt frosting ingredients together in a bowl until fully combined. Spoon into a piping bag and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Depending on what brand of coconut yogurt you use will vary how thick the frosting is. I like Coyo as it’s quite thick. Thinner coconut yoghurts may require just spooning as opposed to piping. Option to put the frosting in the fridge for 10 minutes to help set before piping if you need to.