I like to think that the best things in life have a little sprinkling of imagination mixed in. A small smidge of crazy, peeking just outside the box. This is what I love to do with my own recipes. Take something classic, and totally transform it with my own smidge of crazy. A drizzle of Modern Food Stories magic to keep things exciting. That’s how I came up with this recipe. I wanted to keep in with that festive roasted veg vibe, but add in some hasselback fun for a little bit of something different. And voila! I present to you; Hasselback Roasted Celeriac.
Flavour Flavour Flavour
Roasted celeriac might just be one of the most delicious and underrated veggies out there. It’s tender, mild, nutty, and roasting it really brings out that natural sweetness too.
Now think whole roasted celeriac, but add in thin cuts like hasselback potatoes. All the dressing seeps in infusing the celeriac with so much amazing flavour. Crispy on the outside and fluffy in the middle… now that’s drool worthy!
And the dressing made with olive oil, dijon and red wine vinegar and top with crispy fried herbs, it’s out of this world guys! So simple, but so unbelievably flavoursome.
This recipe for hasselback celeriac is plant based, whole-food cooking at its very best. No processed ingredients or nasty additives needed; just the pure magic that is seasonal produce, a flavour packed dressing and a hot oven for roasting.
Have you tried sizzled herbs yet? If not, why not?! I swear this is the discovery of the century guys!
… Okay well I may be exaggerating slightly, but I absolutely love them!
Sizzle fresh herbs in some olive oil on a low heat so as not to burn it (my fav at the moment is hunter and gather EVOO), for a crispy, aromatic flavour bomb. It also infuses the olive oil with all that herby deliciousness. Such a simple little hack, but once you try it you’ll never go back to normal herbs.
One of the fabulous things about this hasselback Roasted Celeriac, is that it’s super versatile and will pair nicely with all your favourite sides. It’s a stand alone show stopper in its own right, and would make a delicious vegetarian and plant based main course, or a unique side dish to spice up your usual roast dinners.
Pair with a protein of your choice, whether that’s roast turkey, a nut roast, or some lovely baked tofu. This Roasted Celeriac will add a whole new level of yum and it’s something a little bit different too.
Hasselback Roasted Celeriac
- 1 celeraic
- 1.5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Optional lemon juice and zest
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 6 sage leaves
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 fan and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Wash and dry the celeriac. Rub with a light spray of oil. Place in the oven and par roast for 1.5 hours.
- Remove from the oven and slice thin strips 3/4 of the way through vertically, so like you would to hasselback a potato.
- Mix all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl, inlcuding the garlic if using but not the lemon.
- Rub dressing all over celeraic and inbetween the slices. Place back in the oven for 1 hour until crisp.
- Heat the olive oil on a low heat. Add the herbs and fry for 1 -2 mins until crisp. Allow to cool.
- Crumbled sizzled herbs over celeriac and serve with optional squeeze of lemon, lemon zest and cracked black pepper or more salt.