Vegan Roasted Parsnip and Cauliflower Soup
- 3 parsnips (280g)
- 1 cauliflower (300g of florets)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 50 g blanched hazelnuts
- 1 small leek or yellow onion
- 2 celery sticks (80g)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 3 tbsp almond milk (I like Plenish)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 10 g fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400F/ 200C / 180 fan.
- Peel the parsnips and remove the leaves and stalk from the cauliflower. Chop both into 3cm cubes.
- Line a non-stick baking tray with greaseproof paper. Place the parsnips and cauliflower on the tray, toss with 1 tbsp of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Bake for 20 minutes. Add the hazelnuts and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tbsp of oil to a non stick saucepan. Sauté the leek and celery for 3 minutes, or until soft.
- Add the roasted vegetables and stock to the leek and celery mix. Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add the hazelnuts (keeping about 10 to one side for the top). Transfer the soup to a blender and blitz until smooth. Option to use a stick blender if you prefer. Stir through the almond milk and season to taste.
- Heat the coconut oil in a non stick frying pan and fry the sage for 1 - 2 minutes on a low / medium heat until crisp. Watch they don’t burn. Remove from the pan and place on kitchen paper. They will crisp up as they cool.