Baked crispy tofu tacos with a vibrant red cabbage slaw and a zingy coriander sauce. This recipe is sure to make your taste buds sing. These bad boys are packed with flavour, texture, and a whole lot of fun. Get ready for a mind-blowingly good taco recipe that’ll knock your socks off…
First things first guys, lets talk tofu. Now if these tofu tacos are going to live up to their name, we need to get that tofu CRISPY. If you’ve visited my blog or insta before, then you’ll know that this is a total soggy-texture free zone. I’m a crispy texture gal through and through! If you’re new here, then welcome to Modern Food Stories, AKA a safe space for fellow crispy addicts!
I’ve got a super simple equation for achieving that perfect crispy-on-the-outside-fluffy-on-the-inside tofu texture:
Well pressed tofu + Hot oven = Crispy perfection.
I told you it was simple! No need for any flours or starches, deep frying, or any of that faff. The best way to get your tofu super crispy is to just let your oven do its thing.
That being said, there are a couple things you can do to make these crispy tofu tacos absolutely perfect. Choosing extra firm tofu and pressing it really well with a tofu press will help you get the most out of your tofu texture wise. The less moisture in your tofu, the crispier it will get. Although, my super easy hack is to just get hold of some ready pressed tofu (the kind that’s not in water), so you can just chop and go. My go-to brands are cauldron and tofoo.
Red Cabbage Slaw
No taco is complete without some vibrant, crunchy slaw to add an explosion of colour and freshness. This slaw is super simple but so bright and delicious, and using red cabbage gives it that totally gorgeous colour.
Now guys I am a slaw fanatic. I live off the stuff, especially in summer, and I’m always coming up with recipes and new ways of making them (who knew there were so many ways to dress up some crunchy cabbage hey?!). So I like to think I know my way around making a slaw that is taco-worthy.
The best part? You only need 3 ingredients for the dressing
Yep, I said it. Three ingredients!
Zingy dijon, red wine vinegar, and olive oil. The ultimate match for that sliced red and white cabbage (and fennel if you’re wanting some extra pzazz). Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest, and this slaw proves it. The perfect pairing for these crispy tofu tacos.
The coriander sauce is the shining co-star of this recipe. The perfect plant based companion to any Mexican themed recipe, but especially to these crispy tofu tacos.
This little gem is a combination of olive oil, apple cider vinegar, lime juice, coriander (cilantro, for my American friends), and garlic. Blend it all together, and voila! You’ve got yourself a vibrant, citrusy sauce that’ll elevate your tacos to new levels
- 2 blocks quick and tasty tofu, drained or 1 large block extra firm tofu, drained + pressed
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 cup white cabbage, finely shredded
- 3 tbsp coriander, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Option to add 1 small carrot and / or 1 small bulb of fennel, finely shredded
- 1 large avocado, smashed
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200C / 180 fan and line a baking tray with parchment. Cube the tofu and add to the baking tray. Cook for 35 - 40 mins, turning once until golden and crisp.
- Add slaw ingredients to a bowl. Mix slaw dressing in a small bowl and toss through slaw. Allow to rest whilst you make the coriander sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add all ingredients for coriander sauce to a small blender and blitz until smooth, adding water as needed to thin. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Warm tortillas in a pan or microwave. Add smashed avocado seasoned with a pinch salt and pepper, slaw, tofu and finish with coriander sauce.