Tofu Croutons that are as crispy as bread! I kid you not these Crispy Tofu Croutons are life changing. It was a happy accident how I discovered how to get the ultimate crispy texture, and it’s not just a roasting technique. Keep reading to discover my top tips to the ultimate Crispy Tofu Croutons.
Top tips on how to get the ultimate crispy tofu crouton texture like bread!
Use firm unflavoured tofu. I like Cauldron Foods.
Freeze the tofu. Non negotiable. It was a total happy accident how I discovered this tip. I had some tofu about to go past its sell by date so I popped it in the freezer, defrosted it and when I came to roast it, tofu croutons were born!
Defrost at room temperature, not in the microwave. Just leave the packet out on the side until it’s fully defrosted.
Use a tofu press. This will remove so much of the water and will give you light and fluffy Tofu Croutons. If you don’t have a tofu press, don’t worry you can still make these. Simply wrap the tofu block in kitchen paper and press. Repeat several times until most of the water is removed.
Marinade the tofu. Ideally for 2 – 3 days in the fridge but at least overnight. The longer you leave it, the better the flavour.
Don’t add the liquid from the marinade to the oven. Option to add the herbs, sun dried tomatoes, garlic and capers if you like though as they go all crispy in the oven. Yummy!
Low and slow is the best for crispness without burning. I’ve given two options for temperatures and timings for these. If you’re in more of a rush and if you have more time. In my opinion cooking at the lower temperature for longer is better as they’re less likely to burn but I understand sometimes you don’t have the time so there is a slightly quicker option.
How to serve Crispy Tofu Croutons
My Crispy Tofu Croutons are great to add to salads, grain or lentil bowls, as a soup topper, with a dip or simply enjoy on their own as a healthy high protein snack.
Once you’ve mastered these Crispy Tofu Croutons feel free to experiment with different marinades. I’ll be back soon with more flavour options. I’m thinking a Middle Eastern Spiced, a vegan pesto, a sesame ginger and lime and an Italian dijon. What do you fancy?
Crispy Tofu Croutons
- 8 g fresh oregano, or 2 tsp dried
- 4 g fresh thyme sprigs or 1 tsp dried
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt
- 1/3 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 4 large sundried tomatoes
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Other additional flavourings
- 1/2 - 1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 396 g tofu
- The key to the ultimate crispy texture is to freeze your tofu first and then defrost at room temperature.
- Squeeze the water out of the tofu ideally using a tofu press. If you don't have one you can wrap the tofu block in kitchen roll and press, repeating several times to remove as much of the water as possible. Chop the tofu into about 2cm squares. You should get about 48 tofu croutons.
- Mix all the ingredients for the the marinade together in a large tupperware. Add the tofu and toss well to coat. Leave to marinade at least overnight but ideally 2 - 3 days is better for the best flavour. Trust me it really makes a difference if you leave for longer.
- The slower but my fav method : The quicker option : Preheat the oven to 150C /140 fan. Add the tofu to a greaseproof lined baking tray (not the marinade) and bake for 1 hr 30 minutes - 1 hr 35 minutes turning once. Add the garlic after 30 minutes and the tomatoes, herbs and capers after 1 hr (if you want to include these and like them crispy. Don't add the liquid.)
- The quicker option : Preheat the oven to 180C / 160 fan. Add the tofu to a greaseproof lined baking tray (not the marinade) and bake for 45 minutes turning once. Turn down the heat to 160C / 130 fan and cook for a further 35 minutes until crisp. (Option to add the tomatoes, herbs, garlic and capers at this stage if you like and have them crispy. The garlic will take a bit longer to crisp though. Don't add the liquid.)
- Enjoy on salads, lunch bowls, soups. Store in the fridge in a Tupperware for up to a week. They will soften in the fridge but simply reheat to crisp up a little. They are crispiest when fresh from the oven.