Vegan Coconut Curry with Roast Pumpkin and Kale
- 575 g Pumpkin
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch Sea salt or Pink himalayan
- 1 tsp paprika
- 100 g kale, shredded
- 220 ml (1 can) coconut milk
- 1 heaped tsp almond or cashew butter
- 1/2 cup homemade stock
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 lime zest
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 400 g cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (I like Coconut Merchant)
- 1 large banana shallot (45g)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small (2g) red chilli
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 7 g fresh lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- Pinch of salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
- 30 g almonds or cashews
- 10 g desiccated coconut or coconut chips
- Preheat the oven to 190C (fan assisted.)
- Chop the pumpkin into chunks about 2cm in diameter. Place on a non stick baking tray, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, paprika and salt and roast in the oven for 20 minutes until soft but not mushy.
- To make the spice paste, place all the ingredients in a pestle and mortar and pound until combined.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a saucepan. Add the spice mix and fry on a low medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes until fragrant. Add the coconut milk and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes. Then add the stock and simmer for 5 - 10 further minutes until the sauce reduces and thickens.
- Whilst the sauce is reducing, place the nuts on a baking tray and roast for 6 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Add the desiccated coconut to a baking tray and toast for 2 - 3 minutes until slightly brown. Watch it doesn’t burn.
- Now add the nut butter, lime juice, zest and coconut aminos to the curry sauce.
- Add the kale and simmer for 3 minutes. Stir through the pumpkin and almonds.
- Blitz the cauliflower florets in a high speed food processor until they resemble a rice consistency. Heat 1 remaining 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a pan and fry for 3 minutes until cooked but the cauliflower still has a bite. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Place the cauliflower rice in a bowl, top with Vegan Coconut Curry and finish with a sprinkling fresh coriander and coconut.